Saturday, June 5, 2010

We clock over 700 miles

We have arrived at Dalesville - which is really a freeway suburb of a large city called Roanake in Virginia. we are surrounded by franchises for every food imaginable - the only decision is what restaurant to visit tonight - last night was Mexican and I drank my third US 'jumbo marguerita - 12 ounces to the glass.

We are taking a rest day here at a motel run by Indians (from India) - the best place we have stayed on the trail so far. Digby's bad knee was extremely swollen yesterday and we are both feeling exhausted having walked the last 6 days from Pearisburg climbing very mountainous terrain every day. And they said Virgina walking was easy! So far this is not so. we had to climb to the Dragons Tooth - a monolith and the descent was very steep and cliffy and rocky. At one point I lost my balance on a descent over a cliff and pitched forward over the cliff to be caught in a tree and wedged with my pack between the cliff and the tree, completely suspended and jammed. Digby seeing me disappearing over the edge made a lunge to catch my pack before I fell but he missed and then overbalanced as his pack pushed him over the edge of the cliff too. alas he had no tree to catch him and i watched him roll down past me. he was fine and extracted me from the jam, but it was a wake up call for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment